Thursday, October 18, 2012

Plum and Ginger Jam

Fortunately in California stone fruits are still visible in farmers markets and grocer stores. Before they disappear completely, I gathered a few plums and bought a handful of candied ginger from the bulk bin. I love how simple jam ingredients are...fruits + sugar!

When picking for plums, choose the soft and dark ones. It's okay if they're over ripe because they will give out more flavor in the cooking process. If you love love love ginger (which I don't), add shred some fresh ginger along with the candied ones.

Plum & Ginger Jam
fills 3 8oz jars

6 plums about 850g
sugar 350g
1 lemon
candied ginger 120g

On the first day, cut the plums in half, twist softly to separate the plums. Remove the cores and save them for later. Dice plums into half a inch long pieces. Cut candied ginger into similar size as your plums. Take a big bowl and mix in the plums, cores, and ginger. Squeeze 1 lemon then sprinkle sugar all over. Use a wooden spoon to make sure every piece of fruit is covered in sugar. Let macerate in the fridge over night.

Before cooking fruit, sterilize 4 jars and lids (you never know if you will get more or less jam). Boil a large pot of water on the side.

Using a non-reactive pot, boil fruits and juice. Remember to remove the white foam that rise to the surface as the fruits cook. Stir occasionally to make sure the bottom of the jam doesn't burn. Turn fire off when you get double drip.

Let the hot jam settles in the pan before filling the jars. Immerse jars in boiling water and let boil for 5-10 minutes. Remove from boiling water and let sit in room temperature till it's cool enough to handle and store in a cool place.


I never realized how much I love jam till I start looking forward to my Seattle trip! I found an amazing tayberry jam at the Pike Market last spring. Maybe it was two springs ago....geez time fly. Nevertheless, I am going back to my favorite gloomy city! I don't mind the cold, the wind, and the rain so much when there are so many great coffee shops to visit in Seattle. I am also looking forward to a cookbook book shop called Book Larder =) I'll update my gloomy and happy trip to Seattle early November! For now catch the tail of summer with this plum and ginger jam.



No comments:

Post a Comment