Saturday, October 13, 2012

Matcha Cookie Update

Remember my matcha cookie post a few weeks ago? I was craving for a heavier matcha flavor. Some where on my tongue the chocolate chips also stole the spotlight away from matcha. This weekend I modified the recipe and made matcha the star ingredient. There is no chocolate chip, and guess what! I didn't use more matcha powder either. I made a matcha paste instead of sprinkling matcha powder on the batter.

Matcha Shortbread
yields approximately 40 cookies

150g unsalted butter, room temperature
115g confectioner sugar
2 egg yolks
15g matcha powder + 2 tablespoon hot water
240g all purpose flour

Cream the butter till pale and fluffy. Add sugar and mix together till you get a velvety batter. Add the egg yolks and mix well. In a small bowl, add hot water and matcha powder together and whip them together to get a thick green paste. Add the paste to the butter mixture. Use a spatula to distribute the matcha paste evening. Last, add the flour and combine everything together till there is no trace of flour.

Divide cookie batter into two equal balls. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and shape into a 3-in thick log. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 350F. Slice logs into quarter inch thick cookies. Bake for 15 minutes and let cool on a rack after baking.




2 comments:

  1. I love green tea cookies! I`m sure I`ll love these too.

    ReplyDelete