Sunday, March 18, 2012

A little too late for pi day

First time making a savory pie. It's amazing how you use the same butter pie base but once you change the filling, it's not a dessert anymore.

I love to make pies with my hands. I like that feeling of butter and flour crumble on my finger tips. The key to an easy and no mess pie is to work fast! Rub the butter and flour together as fast as you can. Then sprinkle some ice cold water to bring everything together. If the butter is melting, wrap it in plastic and refrigerate it for 10 minutes. Afterwards, quickly roll it out thin and pat it down in the pie dish.

Since I was planning on filling my crumbly pie shell with feta cheese and garlic and crimini mushroom, I thought why not add some pepper and paprika into the pie dough? Well turned out you can't really taste the extra flavor in the pie because the butter overpowered them. I think I'll skip my fancy little additions next time and see if there's a difference.

Roasted Tomato, Mushroom, Squash Feta Cheese Pie
I didn't follow any recipe, kind of just pulled random things from the fridge. The basic ingredients is eggs, cheese, and milk. If you add frozen spinach it would turn out to be a quiche-like pie and maybe use double the cheese topped with pepperoni to get pizza pie! Yummm...let the pie shell be your canvas and food your paint. Enjoy!

Make the dough first. You can even stop after step 8 and freeze it.

Change the filling as much as you want but keep the eggs and milk.


No comments:

Post a Comment